Vermilion Advantage realizes how important it is for the local economy to keep retail sales dollars local. In an effort to address some of the high leakage dollars to other communities and to raise consumer awareness of products produced and made right here at home, an initiative called “Think Vermilion County First” was created in 2002. The overall message of the initiative is to support local businesses by spending dollars locally.
Why Spend Locally?
It encourages support of local businesses and keeps dollars circulating. Studies show that a dollar spent at a locally owned store is usually spent 6 to 15 times before it leaves the community.
- It encourages local investment and growth. As the local economy strengthens and flourishes, that economy attracts more business.
- It adds to our community’s tax base. These taxes help provide local services, roads, as well as fire and police protection.
- It creates jobs. Small, local businesses are the largest employer nationally.
- It helps sustain our one-of-a-kind businesses. These are an integral part of our distinctive character.
- You live, work, eat, educate, have fun and raise your family here.