Tuesday, December 1, 2020 - 7:30am
NOTE: Danville, IL is 2.5 hours from Chicago, 1.5 from Indianapolis, 0.5 from Champaign/Urbana.
Headquartered in Danville, Ill., Watchfire has manufactured electric signs since 1932 and LED signs, using meticulously sourced components from around the world, since 1998. Our products include indoor and outdoor LED displays, fixed digit and video scoreboards, gas price signs and digital billboards. Every aspect of our products and service is focused on giving our customers the greatest advertising tools available for developing their business and increasing sales. Our partnerships with respected, knowledgeable sign company professionals are the foundation of our collective success.
Watchfire LED signs are known for their legendary quality and reliability. We test our outdoor displays to withstand whatever nature throws at them, all to guarantee our customers years of worry-free performance. The excellence in every Watchfire sign begins with our outstanding engineering team designing a quality product. In production, we choose quality over expedience or expense. We use the best performing components available from a global market and invest the time and expense needed to evaluate and verify every aspect of our products’ design, function and serviceability. Our reputation depends on our displays looking and performing great not just on day one, but for years to come.
We developed our proprietary Ignite software to create and manage messages from design to scheduling. Whether the sign is large or small, color or monochrome, the suite of Ignite software helps create head-turning messages through easy-to-use interfaces. Watchfire has over 60,000 LED signs in operation at convenience stores, gas stations, retail outlets, banks, schools, places of worship and other locations worldwide. We also have more digital billboard customers in the U.S. than any other brand.
This senior level Software Engineer position will be part of the software engineering team, helping build the next generation of our flagship software product for the digital signage industry. A person at this level will research, design and develop software products within a specific technical project. S/he can provide solutions for designs and development plans of high complexity which typically requires a broad background of technical and process knowledge. This position provides expert guidance, drives decision making and supports the Software Engineering group in various technical and functional aspects of research and development of new products.
A successful candidate will be a strong team player who is able to work across multiple functions and disciplines. The candidate should be self-directed and have experience and knowledge of software design, coding, and testing methodologies. Though the focus for this position will be on designing and developing embedded systems running on micro-controllers, there will be opportunities to work on user facing web and mobile applications.
Our product software is a critical differentiator in our market, and we take great pride in our in-house products developed entirely by this team, from embedded systems to exceptional user facing GUI applications.
*Watchfire is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.
- Architect, design, create and maintain embedded applications for our content playback sub-system.
- Research hardware trends and work with Electrical Engineering to arrive at the next generation of micro-controllers that are cost effective and performant.
- Help create and review system and software requirements.
- Help foster good software engineering practices and mentor junior engineers.
- Prepare test cases to perform verification and validation of software.
- Assist in data gathering and troubleshooting of products under design or returned/reported from the field.
- Involvement in all aspects of the software engineering process.
- Follow relevant company procedures and help create and maintain relevant documentation.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of software engineering experience building embedded systems software.
- Experience working on embedded systems with c++ as the primary programming platform. Experience with embedded operating systems – Windows and/or Linux will be ideal.
- Proficiency in communication protocols (Ethernet and Serial specifically). Understanding of the OSI model is a plus.
- Experience with version control software (preferably Git), Continuous Integration Build systems (preferably Jenkins), project management tools (like Jira) and automated testing tools.
- Broad experience in Object Oriented Design/Analysis (OOD/OOA). Understanding of design languages such as UML will be a plus.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of hardware architecture – micro controllers, SOCs etc.
- FPGA programming.
- Experience programming in Python (used as a hardware testing tool or hardware simulator/emulator).
- Experience with image processing and rendering algorithms.
- Familiarity with Agile product development methodology (Scrum in particular) is a plus.
*Must have full authorization to work in the US, without requiring sponsorship now or in the future. Sorry, no H1B, OPT, CPT or other visa requirements are able to be supported for this entry level position.
- Full time
Days per week:
Years of experience:
- 5 - 10 years
Required degree level:
- Bachelor's degree