Thursday, October 1, 2020 - 7:30am
NOTE: Danville, IL is 2.5 hours from Chicago, 1.5 from Indianapolis, 0.5 from Champaign/Urbana.
Watchfire Signs is an 85+ year old company that is rapidly growing as an industry leader in the cutting-edge technology of digital LED signs. Our electronic message centers (EMCs) are designed for 24/7 outdoor signage use in all weather conditions. These cutting-edge outdoor LED displays may be as small as a time-and-temperature sign at a local bank or as large as 15'x50' and beyond. Our on-premise division sells to sign companies and dealers who re-sell our EMCs as a portion of a complete signage / business identity package for their customers.
Vertically integrated, Watchfire does everything from product engineering and circuit board assembly through final product integration and calibration. Post-sale, we provide world-class technical service and support. This allows us to sustain our position as the quality leader and the premium provider in our industry.
Based in Danville, Illinois, Watchfire offers comprehensive benefits including 401K with company matching, affordable health & dental insurance, paid time off in year of hire, continuing education assistance and career advancement opportunities. We have been an employer of choice for decades, offering an opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial environment where decisions can be made quickly.
Position Description: This is a middle management position within the R&D department, for candidates with a minimum four-year bachelor’s degree. We are looking for an accomplished technology leader and engineering professional, with expertise in people and project management. S/he will lead from the front to innovate, support attentive issue tracking, and get involved in regular prioritization and timely communication. Proven technical leadership and mentoring skills are highly desirable, as is extensive experience in full software development life cycle processes comprised of requirements-gathering, proof-of-concept, feasibility studies, design, implementation, documentation, testing, maintenance and obsolescence. Experience leading/participating in projects that involve groups of cross-functional engineers from Software, Electrical, and Mechanical Engineering disciplines is a plus. S/he must be able to lead designs and development plans of high complexity products, which typically requires a broad background of technical and process knowledge.
This position provides expert guidance, drives decision-making, and supports the Software Engineering group in various technical and functional aspects of research and development of new products. A successful candidate will be a strong team player who is able to work across multiple functions and disciplines. The candidate should be self-directed and have experience and knowledge in software design, coding, and testing methodologies. We take pride in our fast-paced environment, and the willingness to learn and adapt (new technologies) will be key to succes
- Recruit, inspire, and develop engineering talent for Software Engineering group.
- Foster a strong engineering culture, set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with other engineering and management teams.
- Lead/facilitate technical discussions for the software engineering group, be a subject matter expert (in industry and technology trends), and have strategic influence within R&D.
- Co-own and maintain product road map.
- Communicate cross-functionally across various teams, organizations and internal and external stakeholders to drive research and product development efforts.
- Ensure design and code reviews, analysis of code components and code coverage of Unit test cases.
- Drive end-to-end quality with effective automation of unit level, component level and system level testing. Work closely with Software QA team to ensure high quality of product delivered.
- Lead/facilitate creation and maintenance of system and software requirements specifications.
- Promote good software engineering practices. Lead/facilitate creation and maintenance of software engineering best practices.
- Lead/facilitate data gathering and troubleshooting of products, under design or returned/reported from the field.
- Follow relevant company procedures and help create and maintain relevant documentation.
- Be involved in all aspects of the software product development processes.
- Experience with image processing and rendering algorithms.
- Experience with IoT and cloud infrastructure (Azure; AWS).
- Experience with SaaS and PaaS cloud models.
- Mobile application development.
- Software & Systems Security.
- Familiarity with Agile product development methodology (Scrum in particular) is a plus.
*Legal authorization to work in the US required. We will not consider candidates who need sponsorship, now or in the future, to be legally employed in the US. No H1B, OPT, CPT or other “temporary work authorization” candidates will be considered.
- Full time
Days per week:
Years of experience:
- more than 10 years
Required degree level:
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree