Position Title: Communications Director
Department: * 911 Communications Center*
Supervisory Responsibility: Communications Center PersonnelSpecific Work Functions: * Responsible for the overall administration and operation of the Communications Center as directed by the Executive Director.
- Responsible for developing, recommending and implementing both short and long range plans to assure that telecommunications fulfills its obligations and facilitates the accomplishment of the overall goals of the Public Safety Agencies of Vermilion County.
- Responsible for formulating, recommending and implementing telecommunications administrative and operational policies, rules and procedures subject to the approval of the Public Building Commission.
- Responsible for the coordination of telecommunication activities with local, state and federal agencies.
- Responsible for the coordination of all procedures necessary to assure compliance with all laws, rules and regulations as required by the Federal Communications Commission.
- Coordination of the emergency radio communication plan in cooperation with Emergency Services and Disaster Agency, and state, county and municipal law enforcement agencies.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, supervision, discipline, recommends termination and annual evaluation of all Communications Center personnel.
- Responsible for the scheduling of regular, overtime and “call time” work functions.
- Responsible for handling grievances in accordance with grievance procedures and polices.
- Responsible for the verification of time cards.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of all requisitions for supplies and materials.
- Approve pending invoices submitted by the Comptroller.
- Provide the Executive Director with information concerning the purchase and/or replacement of communications equipment.
- Assists the Executive Director in formulating technical bid specifications for Communications Center electronic equipment.
- Responsible for the administration and monitoring of all equipment contracts. Responsible for communicating directly with equipment contractors, manufacturers, vendors, etc. Refers all major problematic areas or areas of special concern regarding equipment contracts to the Executive Director.
- Responsible for maintaining a complete schedule of equipment contract service calls and verifying compliance with contract agreements.
- Prepare an annual budget proposal for the Communications Center for the Executive Director.
- Responsible for periodic reporting on communications operations to the Executive Director.
- Responsible for purchasing necessary materials, supplies and services totaling $600 or less.
- Other duties as directed by the Executive Director.
Qualifications:Experienced in Computer Assisted Dispatch (CAD), 9-1-1 Systems, and personnel development including training program development. Proven experience in leadership. Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to develop operational procedures for police, fire and ambulance dispatching services. Able to coordinate policies of various public safety agencies to assure maximum efficiency in deployment of resources. Knowledge of Illinois LEADS and FBI NCIC computer interface. Knowledge of telecommunications equipment used in public safety dispatch.Pre-requisite:Bachelor’s degree plus three (3) years experience in administrative supervisory capacity in a public safety telecommunications center; substantial experience may substitute for degree.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Signing bonus
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- Danville, IL 61832 (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Typing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Dispatching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- One location